Friday, November 14, 2008

Debt Free & Frugality

Amy is writing a series titled "How We Did It" explaining how they became debt free. I think it's facinating to read how others achieve what sometimes seems like an impossibility. I don't talk much about this type of thing here but frugality is something that we live out in our every day life around here.... most of the time. We do splurge and we don't always make the best decisions, but overall we live with a frugal mindset. I feel like there's all sorts of places on the internet to read about being frugal. Everything I've done and read about is already being said on several good frugal/debt free sites.

Being debt free is an interesting place to be. I remember when we first reached that goal, which we happen to not be in at the present - there was such freedom. We found ourselves realizing that we had stepped out of "the system". It's indescribable.

We're working feverishly to get back to that state. In the midst of it all, God's grace is sufficient. Instances happen out of nowhere; rebates, refunds, salary increases, bonuses, unexpected gifts, and discounts are just a few times I can remember when the Lord paved the way for me to pay off over $10,000 back when our income for one year was only $16,000. I might add that this was also when we had two babies under the age of two. The math doesn't compute on paper, but I'll tell you this, with prayer, a contrite spirit, and the Lord's help, all things are possible. All things.

I'll keep reading along. I hope you do too. It's every bit worth it.

No comments: