Sunday, March 05, 2006

Where Is The Justice?

"O LORD, how long shall I cry,
And you will not hear?
Even cry out to you, "Violence!"
And you will not save.
Why do you show me iniquity,
and cause me to see trouble?
For plundering and violence are before me;
There is strife, and contention arises.
Therefore the law is powerless,
And justice never goes forth.
For the wicked surround the righteous;
Therefore perverse judgment proceeds."
Habakkuk 1:1-4

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The weekend has proven to be a tad troublesome for me in that I had a vivid reminder that the drug traffic crossing our easement is still alive and well. One of the first things our sharecropping friends mentioned yesterday was the amount of traffic up and down our driveway. I heard the words "Grand Central Station" in one of the conversations and that almost put me over the edge. Back and forth, they drive in, stay 5 minutes and leave all through the day and night. It's truly sad, really. The couple who lives there (our neighbors) are older. Neither work, I think they're retired. But they're sure not lonely!! We've reported it to the sheriff and collected the license plate numbers like they've suggested, and just a few weeks ago I was able to have a lengthy phone chat with an investigator. I described a recent "visitor" that came screaming and stumbling across the backyard saying someone was beating her up. Now that was interesting.....

So tonight, as I ponder all of this, I find myself asking the same questions Habakkuk had about the wickedness of the day............"How long O LORD"? , he asks. How long O LORD, I ask. We had hopes to build a house on this land. One day we'd like to buy a tractor and build a barn. My children play out here and as they get older, they're beginning to venture out beyond my sight. It's 24 acres of trees, vines, pastureland and one big valley that screams for them to come and play. But for me, there's always a cautious flag waving..."please stay close to the house", "please stay where I can see you", "please stay where you can see the house", "don't go any further than X", "are you sure you have the two-way radio?"......to a country kid, that's prison.


But in the end, I know my God. And He is faithful.

"Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The LORD God is my strength;
He will make my feet like the deer's feet,
and He will make me walk on my high hills."
Habakkuk 3: 18-19

No comments: