Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Climbing Pike's Peak

I've got lots of pictures climbing this mountain, but this one always takes me over the edge. (smile) Lots of times, I was so anxious I couldn't even look out my window, so I stuck my arm out and snapped pictures without looking. Thank the good Lord for a patient, kind husband! He drove slowly, spoke calmly, and was very encouraging throughout the climb. Several times along the way, I'd say to myself things like...."If we turned back now, I'd be content forever" or "At least I made it 10 miles" (or whatever the mile marker said) The last mile marker you see is #19, but if you're expecting to stop right then, don't hold your breath. Don't hold your breath at all, for that matter! I thought, "O Lordy, mile marker #19, yippee, get me out of this truck and let my feet stand on solid ground!" It was a bit further.
"Look Mom! - No guard rails!"

Did you know there is an annual Pike's Peak car race to the summit? Crazy.....

8 comments:

Akprestons said...

wow! Isn't it wonderful to have such a calm, patient husband?! I'm totally with you on that. My hubby is the same way. I so appreciate that! :)

love jess

Anonymous said...

Oh, my!! You COURAGEOUS lady! PTL for Phillip, you are so blessed - but; I know you know that. A car race??!! Mark and Aaron would LOVE that. Ummm...not me. Do people "go over the cliff" on this race???!!! I know - that's just morbid to even think of...it just freaks me out. Wow!!

Bobbi said...

we had fingernail marks in the side of the door from me gripping the door handle. LOL...my dd probably had some in her arm too. I was gripping so tight. My dh was patient and drove slow, but the drive is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I got one of those pins that read something like I made it to the top of Pikes Peak, 14,100ft (or whatever it is)

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
blessings!
Bobbi

Michelle said...

oh, goodness! And I had a hard time riding up and down those little curves in our mountains over the weekend! I don't think I would even want to try that one!

I left you a little something on my blog this morning!

Anonymous said...

yikes! I'm terrified of anything that has to do with cliffs or heights. the pictures are beautiful tho.

PS i wish you could come to my house and teach me how to make cheese!

SimpleFolk said...

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVED the verse.:-)
(Still praying here...)
I also love love love fresh mozzarella. Great job! (The pictures are so lovely.) Sounds like your business is coming right along. (Praise the Lord!)


Amy

Leah said...

Isn't that scary? Oh, we've done it too and I thought I'd never make. I had my eyes closed the entire time. I know, I missed the views but I just wanted to get down!

Anonymous said...

It looks scary to me but hubby would love every moment of it.