Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mozzarella Cheese

A friend of mine decided to take a trip to Houston and asked if we'd take three gallons of goat's milk off her hands. ("Well-of-course"...) A few months ago she'd shown me how to make mozzarella cheese so I was excited to try my hand at it by myself. She let me borrow her instructions which is inside a publication by New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. It worked like a charm. This first picture is the curds forming in the milk. The curds clump together and the liquid left over is called whey. So Little Miss Muffit was actually eating cheese and a natural form of buttermilk. Bleh...
This second picture is the curds formed into a ball and the whey in a separate bowl. What's really interesting is that after you've rendered the curds from the whey, the amount of whey is still equal the amount of milk you started with. How is that?

All said and done, the process makes about a pound of cheese, I'd say. It's so fresh tasting. It doesn't last long around here. We eat it as a snack. It'll be gone before the day is over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun!! That looks so amazingly yummy!

I'm back to blogging a bit now....the time just slips away from me, somehow!

Blessings, Julie

Leah said...

AH!! That is so neat! I'm dying to learn how to make cheese! Is it hard? Did it take very long? My friend who has goats sells her goat milk to us and we love it. Her goats are slowing down on the milk production now though so we can't try the cheese till next year.