Sunday, August 29, 2010

NetFlix

About a month ago, we succumbed to the pleading and joined NetFlix. The relief from late fees sold me, initially, and the ease of the whole process keeps me. We've already lost a return envelope but Douglas addressed the DVD in a plain envelope to California and, within a few days, we got a notification it had been received. We're getting the hang of calculating the timing so that we have a movie every Friday night, which is generally movie & pizza night around here. This weekend was our (mine & Phillip's) turn to pick so we chose The Blind Side as we occasionally have "date night" here at home. We've been too tired to watch it but that's the nice thing about NetFlix. We'll keep the movie until we do, which may be this evening. There are over 200 movies in our queue and they can be rearranged at any time.

Unfortunately, there's a downfall but it's not with NetFlix. We are surprised and a little naive, to be honest, to discover all the filth that falls under the PG13 rating. A friend put it bluntly, "what a joke!". I have to agree. We've asked the kids to remove all of the PG13 movies from the queue. When they have a request, Phillip and I will then review it ourselves on PluggedIn Online and possibly watch it first before it's approved for the family. Are we too strict? I don't think so. Everyone's family dynamic is different so I can only speak for my family but we have an eight year old watching our family night movies. What is appropriate for our teenagers isn't always appropriate for her. I just think it's wise to make better choices.

And, with NetFlix? There's definitely a plethora of great alternatives to paying for filth.

3 comments:

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Thanks for the link to PluggedIn. I've been looking for it and couldn't find it. We are also NetFlix members and there are many movie options that are family friendly. Now, I can check the reviews (w/an eye like mine) before ordering films.

Jenni said...

I just happened to visit your blog from the TOS crew, and I couldn't agree more with you about movie ratings. We do not allow our kids to see anything but G or PG. And Plugged In Online is a great place to read for movie reviews as well.
Beautiful blog by the way. Love the autumn colors!

i cant decide said...

We are picky about what our children watch also. Thanks for the review site!